Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Songs That Insire Us, Part 2

Another song we love, and one that has especially spoken to us recently, is Louisa M. R. Stead's 1882 hymn, "'Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus":

'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at his word;
Just to rest upon His promise,
Just to know, "Thus saith the Lord!"

(CHORUS)
Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I've proved Him o'er and o'er.
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
O for grace to trust Him more!

In a 1974 letter, Dutch Christian Holocaust survivor Corrie ten Boom describes her own faith journey in the context of the Father-child relationship:

"When I was a little girl, " [she] said, "I went to my father and said, "Daddy, I am afraid that I will never be strong enough to be a martyr for Jesus Christ." "Tell me," said Father, "When you take a train trip to Amsterdam, when do I give you the money for the ticket? Three weeks before?" "No, Daddy, you give me the money for the ticket just before we get on the train." "That is right," my father said, "and so it is with God's strength. Our Father in Heaven knows when you will need the strength...He will supply all you need just in time."

That's the kind of journey WE'RE on as we attempt to reconcile "we KNOW this is what we're suposed to be doing" with "how on EARTH are we going to pay for this?" :) Similarly, THAT'S the kind of prayer this hymn inspires us to pray in the meantime: "Father, we trust you. Show us what to do, and we'll do it!"

It's also a prayer that we invite you to pray with (and for) us...we believe that God can do anything if we let him!!

-Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment