Friday, April 27, 2012

Communion and the Last Supper

I (Aaron) led Communion time in our Sunday worship service a few weeks ago, and read from the account of the Last Supper in Luke 22. Several passages struck me in new ways.

1.) "When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table. And he said to them, 'I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.'"

Once again, we're reminded that the Last Supper was, indeed, the last "normal" meal that Jesus got to spend with the disciples, his best friends in the world. He looked forward to it, and what he did and said that night took on even greater significance because of that.

2.) "And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, 'This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me'....In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, 'This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.'"

When we eat and drink together -every time we eat and drink together- we're called to remember Jesus. His life on earth, his love for everyone, and his death that brings us new life.

3.) "A dispute also arose among them as to which of them was considered to be greatest. Jesus said to them, 'The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves.'"  

Unbelievable. Almost before Jesus had finished his statement, the disciples were already bickering about their respective places in this new kingdom that their best friend and teacher was going to die a pretty horrible death in order to establish. 

But once again, Jesus gently corrects them. "If you want to be great in God's kingdom," he says. "Be like me. Live like me. Serve like me. Love like me. And if necessary, even die like me." 

That's love. That's greatness. That's what the kingdom of heaven is like! 

No comments:

Post a Comment