Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Giving and Receiving

"Giving needs not be confined to money or material gifts, but I would like more people to give their hands to serve and their hearts to love - to recognize the poor in their own homes, towns, and countries, and to reach out to them in love and compassion...

"I'll never forget during the Bangladesh suffering we had ten million people in and around Calcutta. I asked the government of India to allow a number of other congregations to come to our aid, to help us, because we were working the whole time.

"They allowed them to come: about fifteen or sixteen different sisters came to help us, and each one, on leaving Calcutta, said the same thing...

"'I have received much more than I have given and I can never be the same person again; because I have touched Christ, I have understood what love is. What it is to love and to be loved!"
-Mother Teresa, My Life for the Poor

No comments:

Post a Comment