Saturday, September 28, 2013

Meditations on Compassion, Part 2

"I was at a meeting of the Superiors General in Europe. They talked only of changing the structures of society, organizing things in a different way.

It all came to nothing. It did not do something for the poor, or preach Christ to those without religion, to those totally ignorant of God. 

I was happy when it was all over...

I always explain to the sisters, 'It is Christ you tend in the poor. It is his wounds you bathe, his sores you clean, his limbs you bandage. 

'See beyond appearances, hear the words Jesus pronounced long ago. They are still operative today: "What you do to the least of mine, you do it to me." 

When you serve the poor, you serve our Lord Jesus Christ."
-Mother Teresa, My Life for the Poor

No comments:

Post a Comment