Friday, September 20, 2013

Simplicity, Scotsmen, and Sanctification

I (Aaron) have been reading a lot about the history of the Church of the Nazarene lately for my ordination classes, including Our Watchword & Song: The Centennial History of the Church of the Nazarene.

Tonight I came across a beautiful, simplistic prayer of sanctification penned by Rev. George Sharpe, a Scottish holiness preacher who served in the American Methodist Episcopal Church, Scottish Congregational Church, and Pentecostal Church of Scotland before uniting with the then-Pentecostal Church of the Nazarene:

"O Lord, I give Thee all.

My spirit, soul and body,
my time, my talents, my friends,

all I have and all I ever will have,
all I know and all I ever will know,

to be anything,
and to go anywhere for Thee.

Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment