Saturday, March 2, 2013

Jesus, Weddings, and The Church

Today we were honored to attend the wedding of Tiny and Sarah, two formerly homeless, ex-addict members of our faith community here in Ashton

The service was a beautiful, loving, communal affair. It was full of giggles, gracious moments, and the barely-restrained enthusiasm of a very diverse, very supportive audience...one that included toddlers, punks, little old ladies, and what appeared to be members of a biker gang. 

We joined together in singing several celebratory congregational worship songs, and when Pastor Carl pronounced the newly wedded couple, shouts of "Well done!" and "Get in, Tiny!" peppered the boisterous applause. 

It was all a bit rough around the edges. It was real. And it was very, very beautiful. :) 

As a celebration of community, redemption, and the transforming power of God's love, it all reminded me (Aaron) more than a little bit of Christ's relationship to The Church. 

Without him, we're more than just a little rough around the edges; we're lost, we wander, and we're addicted to ourselves. But in Christ, all things are made new, and we are called to celebrate and proclaim that redemption and restoration in community! 

And so...please consider this your friendly reminder that Christ's life, death, and love for us -all of us- is bigger than our sometime hypocrisies as we seek to follow him (courtesy of Derek Webb):

"I have come with one purpose, 
to capture for myself a bride.
By my life she is lovely, 
by my death she’s justified.
I have always been her husband, 
though many lovers she has known.
So with water I will wash her, 
and by my word alone.

"So when you hear the sound of the water,
you will know you’re not alone.

"'Cause I haven’t come for only you,
but for my people to pursue.
You cannot care for me with no regard for her.
If you love me, you will love the church.

"I have long pursued her,
as a harlot and a whore.
But she will feast upon me,
she will drink and thirst no more.
So when you taste my flesh and my blood,
you will know you’re not alone. 

"'Cause I haven’t come for only you,
but for my people to pursue.
You cannot care for me with no regard for her.
If you love me, you will love the church.

"There is none that can replace her,
though there are many who will try.
And though some may be her bridesmaids,
they can never be my bride."

Thanks be to God!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment